Champion, Wisconsin Makes the New York Times

I never thought I'd see that dateline.

The Chapel, as it's known locally, is less than a mile down the road from my grandparents' rural home (where I'm headed soon for the family Christmas celebration).  It's now the site of a Catholic Church-approved Marian apparition, the only one in the U.S.  Whatever your take may be, that's noteworthy at the very least.

The Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help has been a part of my extended family's life for over a hundred years - the traditional gathering and procession around the grounds on August 15 for the Assumption, and a place for prayers in time of need (down in the crutch-lined crypt).  My grandparents told me stories of masses of people walking out from Green Bay each August decades ago.

It's fun to see the two ladies referenced at the end of the piece - good Belgian ladies who probably know my grandma - who, like many locals, have known of the shrine for all of their lives.