Happy National Opt-Out Day

I opted out.

Heading through security at Louis Armstrong International this afternoon, I was selected for a full-body scan after putting my items in five trays (laptop bin, shoes and plastic bag with liquids bin, coat bin, carry-on bin, and messenger bag bin).  Over a dozen people in front of me were not sent through the full-body scanner.

Overall, the crowds and lines were remarkably thin, so I didn't feel I would be an extreme hold-up to the boarding process.

I was sent through the regular metal scanner after stating that I would prefer not to be scanned and then being warned of the implications of not proceeding through the much larger full-body scanner.  Then, after my bins were collected and put off on the side, I was given a full pat-down (I was offered a private frisk, but I decided that would be even creepier).

It was awkward.  And, in turn, I tried to make it as awkward for the person screening me as I could - I just looked at him sort of stone-faced and gave perfunctory answers, as if to say "What the hell are you doing?" and express my regret that it has come to this.

It did seem like I was being violated without any cause for suspicion.  It certainly felt that way - especially the second time he worked his hands down my thigh.

If I thought that the full body scanner or pat-downs would actually improve security, I might change my stance.  But as things stand, I don't.

Taken together, I thought the frisk was unreasonable.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"