3.10.2010

Youth, Obama, Trust, Jobs

In noting a "Republican resurgence" among 18-29 year olds in the U.S., The Christian Science Monitor notes these interesting poll numbers:

Only 25 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds said they trust Congress to do the right thing all or most of the time. Only 29 percent trust federal government to do the right thing, and 44 percent trust the president. At 53 percent, the US military earns most young adults’ trust; Wall Street, at 11 percent, the least.

It's interesting to see that hierarchy of trust unfold.  Overall, I'm glad that more of my peers are skeptical of government - I think it's a healthy sign, as I've noted before, in the wake of Obamania. 

Still, the 15 point spread between trust of the federal government and the president tells me the love affair hasn't fully subsided.  Somehow, Barack Obama's sheer force of personality seems to be holding him above the harsh realities.

I have noted a feeling of disillusionment with Obama from a number of liberal and progressive acquaintances over the past few months.  And based on the jobless reality that so many in the 18-29 bracket are facing right now - or, from what I know, will be facing soon...I can't imagine trust is going to increase any time soon. 

I think we face a significant national problem after the next round of graduations this spring.  Yet another cohort will hit the already barren job market with major debt.  From my conversations in law school circles, the only thing keeping some 3Ls from outright anxiety is the fact that so many other 3Ls are similarly situated.