That would make 2012 interesting

I have real respect for Joe Lieberman. We may disagree on certain issues, but his sense of personal integrity is tremendously unique today:
Lieberman said he wasn't sure which party, if any, he would represent in his next election.

"I like being an independent, so that's definitely a possibility," the Connecticut senator said. [...]

"I've reached the stage in my career where I'm not measuring every step I take based on how it's going to affect the next election," Lieberman said. "I think if you do that, you end up compromising the quality of your service."
One wonders how the nascent Tea Party movement would handle Lieberman. He's been a crucial ally in the battle over health care reform, which is the purported motive behind the Tea Partiers; but he would be the very definition of a "Republican in Name Only" -- one might expect open season from a movement that seems to be constricting around a perceived "purity" of ideological outlook. One doubts the Tea Party would have too much positive to say about a man who has made a name for himself by holding a personal sense of duty above rigid political conformity -- after all McCain isn't terribly popular with the Partiers either.