10.30.2009

Musikvideo von Freitag

I discovered this week that this song is an English-language cover of this song:


It all started when a labmate from Germany and I were talking about music and I mentioned how Nena did an English version of 99 Luftballons.  I've been working on my German.

I had only ever heard this song in English and I probably hadn't heard it since the mid-90's.  When I was little, my mom's car had a cassette player and there were exactly three tapes: something-Gloria Estefan, something-Phil Collins, and Greatest Hits of the 80's.  Der Kommisar and Wang Chung are the only songs I remember from the tape.

Here are the lyrics in German.  The two versions mean largely the same thing, but "Dreh dich nicht um, schau, schau, der Kommissar geht um!" just doesn't have quite the same ring.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that classic rock stations are starting to creep into the 80's?