2.19.2009

Into the gaping maw

I'm never sure how to feel about air travel. This godlike soaring is all a bit too much for me; the perspective is all wrong. It's an awful case of cognitive dissonance -- the power of flight on the one hand, the absolute police-state of the stewardesses on the other (will my iPod really cause the plane to crash? will having my seat back as we take off actually cause me land in the lap of the hapless fellow-traveler behind me? Big Brother says "yes" on both counts).

I went to New York City for the first time last week. I think it was, to me, what the Grand Canyon is to others: the grandiose walls...




...the little details...



...even the night scenes.



There were moments of tranquility...



...and moments when everything flowed.



All in all, a very good time. I was sad to leave.