1.07.2009

Remembering the Ice Age














Over the break, I had a chance to help with a little local history project in my unofficial, but longstanding capacity as "sidekick to the historian of Kiel."

I thought I would share these great shots from the archives. The first shows an ice-making crew on the Kiel millpond in 1916 under Henry Goeres, complete with a team of horses.

The second shot below depicts the next step of the process in the pre-refrigeration era: storing the ice in sawdust to be used during the rest of the year.

The large brick building depicted stills stands today along the railroad tracks with its walls of multiple layers of insulating bricks. Ed Majkrzak, the city historian, told me he remembers trains heading south to the big cities as a child, the produce cars dripping along the tracks as the ice melted. Kiel served as a crucial halfway point to re-stock on ice as perishable freight made its way south to Milwaukee.