11.16.2007

Cursive dinosaurs

Do you write in cursive? This article says that approximately only 15% of adults do. I don't and I can't say I've seen someone my age writing in cursive lately.

Apparently there's a debate in contemporary education about how much to teach cursive, if at all. One side remembers hating learning it and questions whether its a waste of time while the other talks about how in a world of standardized testing, essays written in cursive are marked higher and written more quickly as well as for the skill of penmanship.

My grade school taught cursive in 3rd grade. I remember the books and having to copy lines of the same letter and then copy words. It wasn't particularly bad. I can remember the teacher telling us how we had it easy because she was schooled in the dreaded Palmer method. That and it was a big deal when we got to the capital I because it's the only cursive letter that has a backward motion.

It wasn't much of a big deal after that, some teachers required cursive; other's didn't.

Nowadays, I only write cursive when lectures get really boring and I need some stimulation. In the future, cursive could come in handy to stand out or to put extra sincerity into a letter or note as opposed to cranking out just another typed page. I suppose it's analogous to the relationship between candles, electric lights, and meals.

The ancient Romans had cursive. English cursive changed over the centuries, from streamlined non-connected letters, to the connected letters of today which has been the style since the 19th century. And there's Russian cursive.