9.16.2006

Not again...

5 churches attacked in Palestinian areas following Pope's comments on Islam
Sep 16 12:31 PM US/Eastern


Italian Nun Shot Dead by Gunmen

While I must totally agree that both the Muhammad cartoons and the Pope's remarks in contention should have never taken place, and could only cause and have caused hurt (arguably due to their inherent verbal intolerance)...

The violent reactions to them by certain elements of Islamic socieities are ridiculous, intolerant, and inexcusable. The fact that a significant component of the violence so far in response to the Pope's remarks has primarily been against Greek Orthodox and Anglican Churches in the Palestinian Territorities makes even less sense, seeing as the comments in dispute were made by a Roman Catholic. At the same time, how killing a Nun was necessary, the fact that she was working at the only hospital in the area being ignore, is beyond me.

Unfortuntely for the world reputation of Muslims (in my opinion the vast majority of which are tolerant of speech and peaceful), this YTMND has a point...

I typically don't buy into Lewis and Huntington's "Clash of Civilizations" theory, infact I am more of a Marxist and Hero theorist when it comes to historical analysis (I am not a Marxist politically nor economically speaking, for as most of you know in American politics I would be considered center-right, however, in analysing history I often look at events through the lens of class struggles)... but these two trends of violence this past year can't really be described by anything else...