3.28.2005

Disconnection Notice

The neo-neocon posts today on reactions she's gotten from her liberal friends when they find out her beliefs on Bush, the war, etc. For what it's worth, I've hit something similar. A good friend of mine is a big-d Democrat, and when I met him, I was much more of a centrist independent. He and I would discuss the war and Bush quite a bit, and I'd bring up a lot of blogosphere information he didn't know, but I was generally... not sympathetic, but certainly not argumentative. The more I read about things, the more conservative I became, but I didn't really realize the process until he called me essentially a party-line conservative one day. It was a few years ago now, and I really don't remember exactly what he said, but it surprised me quite a bit.

Because I still am not really a Republican. Sure I took a semester off to work for the Bush campaign. Sure I'm a member of the UW College Republicans executive board, and an editor on the conservative Mendota Beacon. But there's plenty I disagree with in Republican circles. But here's the catch - I've always felt welcome to disagree when I'm with Republicans. The religious right may be on the ascent in the Republican party today, but even at Madison, there is a lot of dialogue within the movement - libertarian Republicans may not be a majority, but they're there, and they're vocal. Today putting the paper together, for example, I don't think more than two of us agreed on any one position on the Schiavo case. And that's just one example - there are plenty more. And it's refreshing.